Spring 2022 Connections Newsletter 4 – End of Semester Tips
The goal of the Smeal Academy is to equip everyone with best practices and strategies for teaching, learning, and technology to ensure the Smeal community is prepared to respond to the unique challenges of teaching and learning during the Fall 2021 semester. Between now and the end of the Fall 2021 semester, we will be sending periodic emails with practical tips and information, providing live sessions, and holding virtual consultations.
This week, we are sharing some tips for wrapping up your courses at the end of the semester. Hang in there! We are almost at the end!
FOUR End-of-Semester Tips
- Encourage students to complete the SRTE.
Penn State’s Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence has provided several strategies for improving your SRTE response rates. These include:
- Guide students on how to provide helpful feedback.
- Reserve a block of time for students to fill out the SRTE.
- Remind students when SRTEs are active.
- Make it clear that you value student feedback.
- Make sure your Canvas grades are prepared for LionPATH.
The following steps will ensure that your Canvas course is set up to successfully load your grades into LionPATH. As always, reach out to eLDIG if you would like to walk through the process with someone on our team.
- Create a Penn State compatible grading scheme.
- Prepare final grades for LionPATH. The other important tasks you need to complete in Canvas are entering zeros for all unsubmitted assignments and posting grades for hidden assignments.
- You should then be ready to import your Canvas gradebook into LionPATH. Alternatively, you may also manually enter your grades in LionPATH.
- Reflect on what went well and what could have gone better.
HThe end of the semester is the best time to reflect on your semester. Everything that happened (or did not) is still fresh in your memory. This is a good opportunity to note resources you may want to add or eliminate; instructions that should be tweaked; ideas for new activities; or challenges you want to reflect on before the next time the course runs. The following list provides some good jumping-off points for reflection:What were some of your favorite moments of the semester? What happened that you would like to avoid in the future?What happened that you did not plan for?What did you do in the classroom to help students feel like they belonged? What more could you do in the future?With what activities and/or resources were students most engaged? When were they the least engaged?
What surprised you about the students’ behavior?
Though this time of year is busy, make it a point to do something to acknowledge and celebrate the end of this semester. Maybe you go out for a meal to celebrate with colleagues or family, or perhaps you schedule time to quietly reflect on the end of this semester before beginning the next. Whatever you do, remember that there is power in marking the passing of time and celebrating milestones.
Upcoming Live Sessions
- Smeal Academy Session: Microsoft Bookings Lunch & Learn
Join us for a Microsoft Bookings Lunch & Learn facilitated by Jessie Sorensen and Carrie Marcinkevage. Several members of the Smeal College of Business utilize MS Bookings for admissions, coaching/advising, and individual appointments. Participants are invited to share their tips and tricks for maximizing MS Bookings’ value and use. If you have some MS Bookings success and tips, please come share and learn from peers! Join us Wednesday, April 27, 2022, 12-1 PM EST via Zoom.
Please note that rather than a first-time training for MS Bookings, this facilitated sharing session assumes basic knowledge and use.
NOTE: Recordings and resources from previous sessions can be found on our SmealTLT Website.
Email us at: email@example.com or fill out the eLDIG contact form and we will be in touch.