Engaging Students via Microlearning
Are your students mentally stuffed to the gills from your course content? There are things you can do to help them!In this interactive Smeal Academy session, we’ll look at Microlearning (providing small, bite-size chunks of information in a timely manner) and how you might apply it to your course content. We’ll look at the theory behind Microlearning, provide some examples, and see how to apply it in Canvas.
Join us for a Microsoft Bookings Lunch & Learn facilitated by Jessie Sorensen and Carrie Marcinkevage. Several members of the Smeal College of Business utilize MS Bookings for admissions, coaching/advising, and individual appointments. Participants are invited to share their tips and tricks for maximizing MS Bookings‘ value and use.
Please note that rather than a first-time training for MS Bookings, this facilitated sharing session assumes basic knowledge and use.
Join Jamie Campbell and Olivia Lewis from Smeal’s Office of Diversity Enhancement Programs as they share tips and strategies to make our classes more inclusive for Smeal’s diverse student body. We will discuss 5 specific things everyone can do to promote a feeling of belonging in our classrooms.
- Displaying your pronouns on Zoom: https://www.psu.edu/news/information-technology/story/zoom-adding-gender-and-identity-pronouns-your-name-0/ (Please note that you are asked in every meeting whether or not you want to share your pronouns, so you can choose when/whether to share).
- Adding your pronouns in Canvas: https://canvas.psu.edu/2021/02/18/canvas-adding-gender-and-identity-pronouns-to-your-name/
GENERAL RESOURCES AND TOOLS THAT FOSTER DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION :
- Link to Inclusive Practices infographic: https://courses.smeal.psu.edu/Course-Resources/courseorientationmaterials/2022/04/top-5-inclusive-practices.html
- Flipgrid: https://info.flipgrid.com/ (Could be used to ask students to record themselves pronouncing their names or sharing introductory videos.
- Video that talks about the power of two little words: “for me” and “for you” in acknowledging others’ experiences: 2 Words To Foster Diversity, Equity, And Inclusion
PHOTO RESOURCES THAT FOSTER DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
- WOC in Tech: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wocintechchat/
- Beyond the Binary: https://genderphotos.vice.com/#Work
- Plus Size Office: https://canweallgo.com/plus-size-stock-photos/plus-size-stock-photos-office-work-employment/
- Disabilities in the Office: https://disabilityin.org/resource/disability-stock-photography/
Are your students stifling yawns over your course content? Want to add some easy-to-use motivational tools to turn those yawns into gasps? In this session, we’ll look at over a dozen micro-engagements that will kick your course up a notch without breaking the bank or your clock.
Our busy lives pull us in so many directions. Taking time to relax, reconnect with ourselves, and reset is critical for being able to show up for others. In this session, we share a wide variety of resources you can use every day to feel calmer, more centered, and refreshed.
Links Shared in Presentation:
- Let’s Take a Mental Vacation: https://www.window-swap.com/Burnout by Amelia and Emily Nagoski: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/592377/burnout-by-emily-nagoski-phd-and-amelia-nagoski-dma/
- Consider a Two-Song Practice:
- Box Breathing: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/box-breathing-benefits/
- Creative Expression: http://weavesilk.com/
- 20-Second Hug Research: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/keep-it-in-mind/202201/what-20-seconds-hugging-can-do-you
Learning Analytics Tricks and Treats
Come trick or treating with the eLDIG team and collect some creative basic learning analytics treats to inform and guide our teaching and learning efforts. We have several doors to knock on from the Canvas house to the Zoom family…. and we may even check out what the Top Hat home is giving out this year. You never know what tricks might be up our costume sleeves or what haunted houses we’ll need to avoid as we wander through the analytics neighborhood. Join the fun as we collect some trick or treat loot (hopefully, there’ll be at least one or two full-sized candy bars)! Costumes are optional (though you will see many in this presentation)!